Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

re-capping and wrapping-up 2011

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
                                                                                                            -Robert Frost

I remember being introduced to this quote in a British Lit. class my freshman year in college (well over 8 years ago!), and I remember instantly wanting just that... to experience the road less traveled.  But I had no idea what it really meant or what it really looked like.  I came across this quote again yesterday in a book I am currently reading, and I think this quote sums up 2011 for me quite well.

I can look back at New Year's Eve 2010 and just sit here in awe at how much has happened, how much has changed, how much the Lord has shaped me and stretched me, how much I've grown, and how this road I'm on...  has made all the difference.  I am forever changed by this road I'm on.  I see life through different lenses, sometimes clearer, sometimes rather blurry, but different all the less.


IN 2011...
  • I went from my 2nd year of teaching (1st grade in Texas) to my 3rd year of teaching (Preschool and Kindergarten in China)
  • We went from slow paced country life to fast paced city life
  • I've been in Texas, New Mexico, Georgia, New York, a step away from Canada, and China
  • I became a student again (learning a new language, culture, and way of life)
  • I lived out of a suitcase for 6 weeks
  • We've mastered "squatting". (this should totally be a class at orientation by the way...)
  • Skype has become my new best friend and a means of survival
  • I went from enjoying text messages to hating them (because they are all in Chinese and I can't read them)
  • We've made tons of new friends, learned tons of new things, eaten tons of new foods, and experienced tons of new places
  • I've said goodbye to my shorts and flip flops and hello to the current -13 degrees C.  (just in case you'd like to know, the day I moved away from Phoenix, AZ it was 122 degrees F)  talk about complete ends of the spectrum!
  • Though the coldest has yet to come, we have learned to endure Eskimo life quite well.
  • I've learned to cook a meal or 2.
  • My niece, Charlie, celebrated her 2nd birthday!
  • My sister, Sarah, graduated with her masters in nursing and is in the process of buying her first home!
  • My sister, Amy, completed another year as a Mommy and another semester of school, and is one semester away from getting her teaching certificate!
  • My mom and dad and grandma have become tech savvy so we can keep in touch.  So proud of them!  :)
  • We said "see you later" to many great friends, supporters, and encouragers.


IN 2011, EMILY...
  • joined a tumbling class

  • completed preschool
  • celebrated 5 years of life!

  • was a flower girl in a wedding

  • started Kindergarten

  • learned to share her Mommy with 15 other 4-6 year olds on a daily basis
  • joined a ballet class

RECENT EMILYISMS...
  • since moving to China, Emily has obtained a few fears such as riding in elevators, locking the bathroom door (or any door), going to friend's houses
  • she has also began to face her fears and is very proud of herself when she does
  • Emily is determined to pick out her outfit, get dressed all by herself, and fix her own hair!  (I have learned I don't have to give a disclaimer every time...  you can usually tell when it's an Emily day!  :))
  • she has adapted a "big words" vocabulary and loves to use big words (especially out of context) :) 
  • some of her favorite words are:  actually, random, lame, cooperate, possibility
  • some recent new phrases she has adapted are: "yes, your majesty", "aye, aye captain!", "no harm, no foul", "it's a possibility", and "you look hot, mom!" *she thinks "hot" means "cool".
  • she truly believes every girl is a princess.

*What a year it has been!  When I started this blog it was New Year's Eve...  due to slow pic uploads, we have now entered 2012!  The year of the dragon...  should be a "lucky" year!


NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS:
  • Do NOT eat off of Emily's plate!
  • Have an attitude of gratitude:
    • "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
    • "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, and with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."   (Philippians 4:6)
                    ****HAPPY 2012!!!****

No comments:

Post a Comment