Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

looking through wheelchair-colored glasses...

Granted, I was only wheelchair-ridden for a few days, my eyes have been wide opened, I've gained a new perspective, I've encountered much frustration, and have learned to appreciate the smallest of small things.

My first wheelchair encounter was in the airport as we got ready to fly out to Beijing.  The handicap service in the Shenyang airport is phenomenal.  They went above and beyond to do everything they could to help me!

When we got to the gate, we realized I had to WALK down some stairs to the tram which takes us to the airplane.  This was a problem considering they made me check my crutches at the baggage claim.

The guards spent about 15 minutes brainstorming a plan before they decided to take me through a back way down a few ramps and elevators and wheel me out to the tram.  They then lifted me (in my wheelchair) onto the tram and it drove out to the airplane. 

Once we got to the airplane, we had to climb up the stairs to the plane.  Once again... dilemma.  It took them a while to decide how they were going to do this, but they teamworked it and carried me (in my wheelchair) up the stairs.

I just couldn't fathom the thought that they had never faced this dilemma before.  Surely that have, right!?

Once I got up there, the wheelchair was too wide for the walk-way and I didn't have crutches, so I had to hobble to my seat.  This was so painful and frustrating and embarrassing because everyone was staring!

On the way back, the handicap service in Beijing didn't even begin to compare.  We were pretty much on our own.  Thank goodness I had a GREAT friend to go with me!

FRUSTRATIONS

-People stare at me anyways because I'm a "waigouren" (foreigner), but I was stared at a LOT!
-My independence was pretty much stripped completely!  It was very frustrating not to be able to do many normal everyday things on my own.
-People stare instead of help.  When we would struggle to get up a ramp or on a sidewalk, some people would just stare and see how we were going to figure out this dilemma on our own.
-China is not handicap accessible hardly anywhere...  I don't know how the handicap do it!

APPRECIATIONS

-On the other hand lots of people SMILED at me!
-Many people offered their assistance.
-If there was a ramp (which we only found one that I can recall), I was led to it immediately.
-The guy at the hotel who ran to me every time the elevator door opened and led me down the ramp and said in his best Chinglish, "Every ding going to be ok," as he gave me a high five... well that just makes you smile!

NEW PERSPECTIVE

-Be grateful for what I can do.
-Appreciate those who help with what I can't do.
-Smile at those in need.
-And offer a hand every once in a while.
-Reach out.
-Look for someone who's in need.  We are everywhere!


 "He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us."  2 Corinthians 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment