Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

qipaos and stockings

Other than when my mom came to visit, I haven't really gotten into "getting things made" here.  I should have.  It's super easy, pretty cheap, and tailored to fit just right -- most of the time!

I thought it would be fun to get a qipao (pronounced "chee-pow"-a Chinese-style dress) made for me, and a matching one made for Emily and her doll... much cheaper than buying the matching American Girl Doll outfits!  So, during Spring Break, we went and picked out the fabric, got measured, paid our dues, and have been waiting patiently for the finished product.

Emily's Doll (also named Emily) getting measured for her qipao

Emily makes friends very quickly here!

Today, only 9 days later, they were ready for pick-up!  This was so fun to do and I'm so glad we did it.  We can't wait to wear them next year to the Chinese New Year Festival at Chinatown in Austin.  How I never knew there was a Chinatown in Austin is beyond me, but I am so excited to have discovered it!


Emily was well-pleased!

I just love it!

Had to have my black and red!

But, that's not all!  A teacher friend (who went with us) had previously had Christmas stockings made out of qipao fabric, and I loved the idea so much, I had to do it, too!  I love how they turned out!
Don't you love 'em?

China... you will forever be a part of us... even in Texas!


1 comment:

  1. I love your dress!! You look beautiful! I am sad we never made them.

    ReplyDelete