Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

it's beginning to look a lot like christmas...

I know it's not quite December yet, but this was a good weekend for us to go shopping for our Christmas tree, so we did!  A friend, Emily, and I ventured out and took a trip to Metro (similar to a Sam's Club or Costco).  Keep in mind our Chinese is verrry limited, so I knew it would be an adventure.  The trip went much smoother than I could have asked for.  But there were a few highlights that make me smile.

Metro isn't exactly a convenient place for us to go, so I was determined to get everything I went there for...  a Christmas tree and a month's worth of groceries.  And I did!  BUT...  I had so much that I couldn't even carry it all to the sidewalk to catch a taxi.  I pushed the grocery cart as far across the Metro parking lot as I could until the guard stopped me.  Plus, I knew there was no way a taxi was going to stop for us when he saw how much stuff we had, so...  we strategized. 

My friend went to the sidewalk (empty handed) to catch a taxi, while Emily and I stood back by a tree with our cart of groceries and our Christmas tree.  After a while, my friend stopped a taxi and then when she pointed for him to go pick Emily and me up, he drove off.  I knew this was going to be an issue, but we were determined.  Then, my friend stopped another taxi, she opened the door, got in and shut the door, before revealing the 2 other Americans with all their stuff.  It worked!  He drove into the parking lot, opened his trunk and we were on our way.

Whew!  We did it.  But... wait...  how on earth was I going to get all this stuff to my apartment and up the stairs?  Times like this are when I just love the community I live in.  I called a friend when I was half-way there and asked if she could  help.  There is a shopping cart that just sits at the front of our apartment gate (for moments like this I assume).  But I was being dropped off at a different gate, so my friend met me with the shopping cart, and we pushed our groceries and our Christmas tree across the ice patches of my apartment complex, and my friend helped me carry my things up four flights of stairs.

Talk about teamwork!  And lots of stares. ;)

The end result?  We will not run out of chicken nuggets any time soon...  and...  it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment