Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tong Wei...

A couple of weeks ago, when Emily was at camp, I had the privilege of traveling outside the city to an orphanage.  I've been wanting to go there all year, but it is by no means convenient to get there or convenient to get in.  There is a medical team that travels out there once a week, so I was privileged to get to tag along.

My main purpose for going out there was to feed Tong Wei, a 2 and a half year old baby boy, diagnosed with CP, immobile, and was only able to eat through a tube.  He needed more nutrients, so I had planned to try to spoon feed him, which had only been done one other time and took a little more than an hour to feed him 12 spoonfuls.  He needed much time and attention which just wasn't being provided.

Once I got there, the nurses said they had just fed him (only formula), so I just held him for hours.  And touched him, and stroked him.  He was dirty, he was sick, but he was beautiful.  I had a toothbrush and some silky and fuzzy fabric to stroke him with for stimulation.

I brushed his face with the toothbrush for at least an hour.  And he loved it.  He only liked it on the left side though, not the right.  And he would attempt to cry if I would stop, but didn't have the strength.  His body lay practically lifeless, as he attempted to cling to the fuzzy fabric, but his grip just wasn't quite strong enough.

These three hours with Tong Wei broke my heart, fulfilled my heart, and changed my heart.

Over the next couple of weeks, I lifted this little guy up often, and tried to coordinate ways to go out and visit him.  But Emily was done with camp, I didn't have the transportation or the expenses to taxi that far, or didn't have the language to try to explain to the guards what I was doing there, and the list of excuses and hindrances go on...

They were legitimate excuses and hindrances.  But still, I wish I would have tried harder, and found a way...

Because Tong Wei passed away last week.

And I drown in the sadness this morning as I think of this loss.  I think about how I wish I could go out there everyday and love those kids with all I have.  And when I have the opportunity, you bet I'll take it.  And when I can't, I'll hope that others can, and trust that He is Sovereign over everything and everyone...  even the "least of these".

I also revel and rejoice at the joy to the end of Tong Wei's suffering and I know that he is in a far better place than the Shenyang Orphanage.

Rest In Peace, Tong Wei.  I will see you again one day, Little Buddy.

2 comments:

  1. I cried as I read this! Thanks for you openness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously cried. Tong Wei is in a MUCH MUCH MUCH better place being held by Jesus. Praise God that he isn't suffering any longer. Praying for you, Lea. HE is using you in amazing ways!

    ReplyDelete