Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

our Protector

Night time at our house has been really, really hard the past couple of months.  Emily has been struggling a lot with fear and anxiety, a mind that wanders, lots of questions and lots and lots of nightmares.

She worries about things like kidnappings and mommy dying.  She needs to know that I always come back and where she would go if anything happens to me.  My six year old knows what a will is and what's on mine.

There are several factors that play into this, but the hardest part has been figuring out the solution.  We pray and recite Scripture.  We tell the enemy to go away and we cry if we need to.

Every single night we pray for His peace and comfort and that He would protect her.  Protect us.

Tonight, as we were leaving a friend's house and trying to catch a taxi, a stranger tried to take my bag off my shoulder.  Emily turned around just in time to see his hand on my bag.  She told me right away, and as I turned around, he had turned around and walked about 5 steps the other way.  When I turned back around, Emily saw him walk towards us again.  Thankfully, we stopped a taxi at that very moment.  As I got in the taxi, I made eye contact with the man.  I knew he was guilty.  And he knew that I knew.

After telling the taxi driver where to go, Emily and I had this conversation:

Em: "Mommy, that scared me."
Me:  "It's okay to be scared.  But it's also really cool to see how God just protected us.  Even in situations THAT CLOSE, He protects us."
Em:  "Oh yeah... that's cool!  We should tell this story!"

Teachable moments...

He is God, our Protector.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard this song [Need you Now by Plumb]... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnx0NA9X4 ... she talks on Air1 about having anxiety all through school, locking herself in the bathroom reciting scripture and she finally was able to give it all to Him. I'm going to be praying for little Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great song, Tara! Thanks for sharing. Do you know where I can listen to her tell her story? Thanks for your prayers!

      Delete