Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

our trip was "bu hao"

"Bu hao" is Chinese for "not good".

SHENYANG-first flight. 
"Your flight is cancelled."
"Why?"
"Because of the snow."--(that stopped at least 5 hours ago and had completely cleared up).
"Can you get me on another flight?"
"No."
"Well... who can?"
"Customer service."

Customer Service:
"Can you get me on another flight?"
"Yes, at 3."  (an hour earlier than scheduled--that makes sense...)

Rush to check in.
Get the cool China lighter Christmas present taken away. :(
"You will have to claim your bags in Beijing."
"Why?"
"Because you changed your flight."
No... You did...
Rush to security.
Take off the knee brace.
Put it back on.
Rush to the gate.
Fly to Beijing.

BEIJING
Practiced over and over on the plane saying, "I have 3 large bags, my knee is bad, can you help? in Chinese.
Finally, after trying it on 3 people I found someone who spoke some Chinglish and helped me.
Went to check in.
"You're too early."
Okay... lugged 3 large bags, 2 carry-ons, and a child around for an hour.
Checked in.
Took off knee brace.
Put it back on.
Was asked to take all my change and keys out of my bag and re-check.
Witnessed a limping bat almost give 2 people a heart attack.
The maintenance guy captures the bat in a bag and carries him off squealing.
I bought 2 waters for our 12 hour flight.
Went through the gate.
Surprise.
MORE security.
They took both brand new bottles of water and trashed them.
And the girl sitting beside me manged to sneak by with a beer.
Nice.

LOS ANGELES
Departed the plane 45 minutes late.
Tickets said to board in 45 minutes after our arrival.
Needed to claim my bags again.
Waited 15 minutes and never saw them.
Asked the lady in baggage what I should do.
She said, "Run."
Left customs.
Ended up by an elevator and a meeting room.
Interrupted the meeting and asked for help.
The manager said put her in a wheelchair and wheel her to the curb.
The knee brace paid off.
Finally.
They shuttled me to my terminal.
Found security which was a mile long.
The security lady let me go to the front.
Took off the knee brace.
No time to put it back on.
Looking for gate 44.
There's 42, 43, 45.... seriously?
Around the corner...  a sign.
Gate 44... take the escalator down to catch the shuttle.
Argh.
Caught shuttle at the time the plane was supposed to be departing.
Rushed to gate.
He looked at my tickets and then gave them back.
"Can we go in?"
"Oh, we haven't boarded yet."
Oh my word.
But "phew"!

ALBUQUERQUE
I am EXHAUSTED.
File a baggage claim.
Stay in a hotel.
Pick up bags the next day.

Our trip was "bu hao".  But we made it. We have our bags. Have already enjoyed great shopping, great food, and a great time with my parents.  Off to see the rest of the family in about 4 hours.  Yes, I should be sleeping.  But jetlag's gotten the best of me.

Here's to hoping our trip back is "hao"!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully it will be! It is annoying have to dump your drinks at another security check. That always happens to us when we get on a flight (in Korea or China) that is going directly to the US. The US has so many extra rules! I hate LAX, btw! I've had too many bad experiences there. Don't like that place at all. Glad that you've made it safely and will soon forget these headaches.

    ReplyDelete