Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Liaoning rocked by 5.1-magnitude earthquake

So, this blog post is mainly for my records.... for when I look back at our China journey 20 years from now.

My students were sitting at their tables, using their colorful counters to add their one-digit numbers to figure out the mystery picture.  I was helping a student use her counters when my feet shifted and my legs shaked for a few seconds.  I looked at my students.  Nothing.  I looked at my Teacher Intern.  Nothing.

"Did anyone feel that!?" I asked.
"Feel what?"  Unified response...
For a few seconds, I thought I was crazy.  I was the only one who felt the earthquake.

Less than a minute later, the intercom clarified that I was not crazy when the voice instructed us to get under the tables.

The kids thought it was a drill.  So, I went with it.  That's one way to keep them calm...

Then we were instructed to go outside, and they began to get a little curious. 

I assured them everything was okay and we were just going to "follow directions".

So, we went outside and stood in the freezing temperatures, and extreme pollution, and snow flurries for about 30 minutes.

No aftershock.

Went back inside the classroom.  I finally revealed that "it was not a drill".  We debriefed and then continued another day at SYIS.

All is well.

"We survived our first (and hopefully last) earthquake today!  Things I never thought I'd say...  Actually, what I should say is, I survived a Kindergarten earthquake "not a drill".  That was the hard part.  Good news is, we're fine."  ---Me

                           Photo: A magnitude 5.1 earthquake happened today.... Can't just have a normal hump day apparently. All is safe and well....

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1134565/liaoning-rocked-51-magnitude-earthquake

No comments:

Post a Comment