Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Chun Jie Kuai Le!


Try pronouncing it this way:  (Choon Jia Kwye Luh)
It means... Happy Chinese New Year!

This picture doesn't do this event justice... not at all.  But it's the best I've gotten so far!

And man, I sit here, 5 days after it's started, and this is the biggest celebration I've heard so far!  Fireworks... sun up to sun down.  Non stop.  Right outside my window.  Yep, there goes one now!  No restrictions really.  Throw firecrackers out your window if you want.  I'm not really sure I can paint a picture for you.  Indescribable.  Loud.  Insanely absurd.   But oh so exciting!  Especially when I see Emily's eyes light up the way they do.  She keeps it exciting.  Not sure how.on.earth. she is sleeping through this right now.


Chinese New Year aftermath...
yes, you guessed it, firecracker debris!
I don't like that they sound like gun shots though.  I've had a couple of mini heart-attacks while walking...  definitely not a dull moment during this break!

We started the holiday by going to the Holiday Inn with friends and watching the kick off to the celebration from the 14th floor.  We played games, ate junk food, went swimming, and had a great time!


The Girls...

Watching the fireworks!

Chinese New Year dinner at Pizza Hut... all the Chinese restaurants
were closed.

An attempted shot at the fireworks.

Heading over to the Crowne Plaza for a swim.

A dip in the hot tub... my favorite!

This girl is a little fish in the water!

A city of 8 million... and it was Ghost Town
on Chinese New Year!

Splurging on snacks at the Import Store for break!

Beautiful Cherry Blossom and Kumkwait trees...
(at least that's what I think they are!)

It's the year of the Snake.


After braving her fear of fire, Emily has enjoyed playing with sparklers and watching friends set off fireworks!

My sister, Sarah, the burn nurse... would absolutely have a cow if she experienced this first hand.  I have no doubt they could put her to use here.  A hotel burned down a couple of years ago because of Chinese New Year... no big deal.

I've said it before, but 4th of July will never ever be the same.
Chun Jie Kuai Le!

No comments:

Post a Comment