Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

awake, awake!

"Awake awake, O Zion, clothe yourself with strength."  Isaiah 52:1


As a disclaimer, this verse actually speaks so much more than what I'm going to say tonight.


AWAKE, AWAKE! MORNINGS


I once had the privelege of hearing a very great speaker translate this entire chapter into terms I can understand, and now, several years later, relate to.  What I remember most about her message was how she related the message to her "awake, awake" mornings with her five boys.  The double emphasis on the word "awake" displays the urgency of the word.  She described how her "awake, awake mornings" consisted of her throwing waffles at her children as they walked out the door, while a couple of them catch the waffles, one is still putting on his shoes, and the other is still sticking his arm through his shirt sleeve.


Every morning in China has been an "awake, awake! morning" for us.  We have rarely stayed up past 7 p.m., which makes it hard for us to prepare for the next day.  We have been so tired, that our early bedtimes haven't necessarily called for an early morning.


Most of our mornings have consisted of 2 rushed showers, throwing anything I can find to throw into Em's lunchbox, wet hair, running (or sprinting) around the house to find that sock, or that shoe, or that backpack, or the brush, and then running down the stairs to catch the bus by 7 a.m.


These mornings are not peaceful.  They are hard, they are dreaded, and no matter how much I despise them, most of our mornings have turned out to be "awake, awake mornings".


RISE AND SHINE MORNINGS


I am determined that tomorrow will be our first "rise and shine morning".  We had these often in The States, and I miss "rise and shine mornings".  There is order to them, routine, and peace and calm.


My shower is done.  Emily is in the bathtub.  Lunchbox is packed and in the fridge.  Shoes are by the door.


Emily napped until 5:30 this evening, so she may stay up a little later than usual...  But we are starting to get settled in.  Our apartment is almost completely set-up.  My lesson plans are well-prepared.  I feel like I know what I'm doing tonight.  And tomorrow...  is going to be a Rise and Shine morning!


And if not...  I'll awake awake, and clothe myself with Strength.  :)




restful Sunday :)




1 comment:

  1. Lea,
    You are truly an inspiration to me. The strength that you possess and show to others is amazing! And, you do it all by yourself (not completely...as I know the Lord gives you His strength...but without a mate)...You are an example to many of us. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete