Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

our first 10 days

Well, we've been living in China for 10 days, and it's all such a blur.  Our first 10 days went by so fast, but it also seems like we have been here much longer!  We finished our first full week of school this week, along with 2 open houses and meeting many great parents.  It has been a very busy week, and we have not stopped moving since we've been here.


Emily is adjusting to China very well.  :)  I cannot get over the difference between our visit last year and this go-around.  She was a movie star last year.  There aren't a whole lot of blonde children in China, so she was definitely a sight to look at!  Everywhere we went, people were taking pictures, touching her face and blonde hair, and just literally surrounding her.  This year, that isn't the case, and I'm very grateful!  Sure, people stare, and they smile, and they say things that I can't understand yet.  But not one picture has been taken.  I'm sure our time(s) will come, but it's been such a drastic difference.  A few businesses have opened up here that have brought in some foreigners, so my assumption is that a lot more foreigners have been seen in the past year.  It's neat to look back on the experience and just watch the change.  Things seem to change in China everyday!


So, this week, I'm not sure how Emily felt about me being her teacher.  She's adjusting to China very well, but the classroom transition has been a little hard for her.  It's hard sharing Mommy with other kids, and she's trying to claim her territory. :)  She had a wonderful day yesterday.  Best day she's had so far.  Hoping that was a sign of transitioning and that the rest of the year goes smoothly for her and me both.  I really enjoy teaching her.  I'm getting to know so much about her socially and academically that I don't think I ever would otherwise.  It's going to be a fun experience that will stretch me a lot.


OUR HOME


Our apartment is wonderful.  It's completely furnished, Emily sleeps in her own room (which I still just can't believe!), and it's in very close proximity to many great people and friends.  We are going on an IKEA shopping trip today.  I'm excited to add a little bit of our own taste and style to make it feel more like home.  Below are some "before" pictures of our apartment.

living room

living room

bathroom/shower

our closet

laundry room

my room

Emily's room

 "After" pics to come soon!  :)

MY CLASSROOM

My class is just wonderful.  The dynamic make-up of my class is above and beyond all I expected or hoped for.  The diversity in my classroom is very apparent and has already opened my eyes so much.  I have several children from The States (all from different states, and there is just so much diversity in that), some from Korea, China, the Phillipines, South Africa, France, and the UK.  We've only been here for 10 days, and it's already been such a life-changing experience.  More to come...

Word Wall

Behavior Incentive

Classroom View

Calendar Wall


Today's a great day to learn something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment