Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

acupuncture, cupping, and hail in June!

My back hurts.  A lot.  All the time.  Whether it's from the car wreck several years ago, or the massage gone bad, or carrying my daughter and my purse on my left side only for 5 years, or a combination of them all....  my back is in pain more often than not.  So before you ask WHY I did this...  it's because I long for the day when my back doesn't hurt.

ACUPUNCTURE

A combination of Swedish massage and deep tissue and a chiropractic adjustment is what I prefer...  it usually provides relief for about a month.  But since moving to China, I've really only found the deep tissue massage.  Very DEEP tissue.  And most times I really enjoy it, but other times, it makes things worse.  My chiropractor in The States recommended that I try acupuncture if I couldn't find chiropractic care...  and China would be the place to do that!

So...  today, I did it.  I got up the courage to go and actually ask someone (or have someone ask for me... in Chinese) to stick lots of needles in my spine, and my shoulders....  and oh, my head....  in hopes of finding pain relief.

The doctor said it would take 10 consecutive treatments to find relief, but I did a trial today just to see if I could handle 10 treatments.  It really didn't hurt at all.  Getting a shot hurts worse.  It was just a prick.  And they left the needles in for 20 minutes.  I still have no idea how effective this is, but I do know I can handle it.
This isn't me, but just to give you an idea what it's like...
Glad I was faced down and didn't see any of this.


CUPPING

So, I don't really know a lot about Chinese Fire Cupping...  except that it was done to me today...  unexpectedly.  I had heard of it before...  and I knew instantly when the needles being poked into my spine turned into fire-filled cups/jars suctioning my skin.  And for some reason...  I just let it happen....  hoping that it would actually work. 

It actually didn't hurt at all.  I could feel the pressure....  kind of like something was pulling on my skin, but it was painless.

What is cupping?  I got the following info here if you are interested in finding out more:  http://www.easternmedicalcenter.com/Services/FireCupping.aspx

"Fire Cupping is the method of using glass cups to create localized circulation by a vacuum, and forcing blood and lymph flow where the area is blocked or deficient. The Chinese have been doing this since ancient times by using heat to create the suction action of the glass or bamboo cups. This vacuum effect causes the blood to flow to the area in need of help and healing."

So, does it leave marks?  YEP!  I have 7 perfectly shaped circular hickeys on my back.  No big deal.

Apparently, the darker the circles are, the more toxins you have and the weaker your energy is.  As the color dissipates, the toxins are being released.  Interesting...

I really don't think mine looks THAT bad...
but we will see in the morning...


*So, the doctor swears I will be healed if she does this combination 10 days in a row...  Has anyone actually done this and gotten relief from this??  Please let me know your experience!

HAIL IN JUNE

Just to add a little excitement to my dull day... it hailed today!  It was only for about 2 minutes...  but it's June!  I went to pick up Emily from a friend's after my Chinese medicine adventure and as we walked out the door, it was pouring!  We ran home in pouring rain, small bits of hail, and large puddles.  Of course, Emily loved every minute...  I was a little disappointed with the lightning...  realizing it was safer for us to run without using the umbrella.  But Emily's giggles made it worth it.  Boy were we soaked!





No comments:

Post a Comment