Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 9--Gu Gong, Photo Opportunity, Chicken Nuggets and Macaroni

GU-GONG (The Imperial Palace)

As part of my 40 hours of Chinese lessons this summer, my Chinese teacher, Linda, wanted to take me to the Gu Gong.  So, I asked her if she could take me when my family was here because I knew they would enjoy seeing it.

The Gu Gong in Shenyang is a smaller version of the Forbidden City in Beijing.  We were able to view the entire place in about 3 hours.

I honestly thought this wouldn't be much fun for Emily and Joy (Linda's daughter), but the girls absolutely LOVED it!  Emily was soooo interested in all the history, and I really wish I had the answers to her numerous questions.

It was a great cultural morning for us all!

Joy and Emily trying to look at the water and coins inside
this pot... These are used as back-up in case the Palace ever
catches on fire.

These girls are so interested in every little detail!


The Meeting Hall

Emily and Joy with their matching head bands...

We wanted the same ring, there were 2 left, one fit her, one fit
me... coincidence?

Linda wearing Joy's headband :)

My Mom and Dad...  My Dad never smiles in pictures, so
I finally caught him smiling!


The Crew




PHOTO OPPORTUNITY

After the Palace and lunch, we strolled along a street to look at some shops.  While I was at the ATM, a guy saw Emily and asked if we would be interested in a free photo shoot.  This is the 2nd time this has happened!

The catch, of course, is that they can use her pictures in their studio as advertisement.  I always leave this decision up to Emily.  She really enjoyed her first photo shoot, and she said she wanted to do it again.  So, the guy took us on a tour of the studio and showed Emily all the different scenes, pictures, and dress-up clothes.

We will go back on Friday for the photo shoot.  Emily keeps asking when she gets to go and I can't wait to get those free pictures!

CHICKEN NUGGETS AND MACARONI

After we came home and rested for a bit, we walked to the Riverside Market (a new foreign grocery market within walking distance from our apartment).  We are very excited about this place by the way!

I picked up some Kraft Macaroni and Cheese...  just to have it on hand.  But when we got home, we didn't really feel like going out for dinner.  I had some chicken nuggets and french fries in the freezer.  So, we heated those up, stirred up the macaroni, and voila!...  for some reason, this meal tasted SO GOOD to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment