Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

thoughts on perseverance...

per·se·ver·ance

[pur-suh-veer-uhns] 
noun
1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
2.  Theology . continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.

  • Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
  • Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
  • Perseverance is trying again and again.

  • We've all had opportunities to give up and we've all had opportunities to persevere.  In the past year, I've had friends who have had to endure really, really tough situations.  People have lost loved ones, lost their homes, experienced split families, left people they love and places they call home.  People have been diagnosed with cancer, been put in the hospital, had to quit their jobs to take care of family members.  Life changes all the time.  Circumstances are out of our control.  Things are often hard.  And we have a choice to make.

    Living overseas this past year has really broadened my perspective on perseverance and persevering is often a choice I have to make on a daily basis.  Some days are easier than others, but on the days that aren't...  I have a choice to make.

    Here are some of my thoughts on perseverance that I came across in my journal that I had written a couple of months ago:

    PERSEVERANCE                                                           Thursday, 3-29-12, 9:36 p.m.

    During trials, there are always two choices.  I can give up or I can persevere.

    Perseverance is what's gotten me through this life.

    If I'd given up every time things were hard, I'd be in a really bad place.

    There are times when I've wanted to give up, but after considering the consequences, clearly... my only choice was to persevere.

    But what about the times when the giving up looks good?  And the consequences are actually what I think I want?  And the outcome to giving up looks better than persevering?

    THAT'S WHEN I...

    "Lean not on my own understanding, but in all my ways acknowledge Him and He will make my path straight."

    THAT'S WHEN I...

    "Do not grow weary in doing good, for in due time I will reap a harvest if I do not give up."

    "Some of His assignments require very hard work.  To persevere means we do the work.  Weary, but not quitting.  FOR HIS GLORY, we press on."  ~Angela Thomas

                                   

    No comments:

    Post a Comment