Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 7---Golf, Mango and Pizza

We were exhausted the day after ShanHaiGuan, so I apologize that I have no pictures for this day!  We slept in, ordered McDonald's for breakfast and had it delivered, and didn't leave the house until 1:30 for my dad's golf game...

GOLF

There are a lot of "just-go-with-it" moments in China, and my dad got to experience this first hand.  A teacher I work with has been extremely helpful in arranging this golf appointment and even lent my dad her husband's golf clubs. 

I have been communicating with a Chinese lady back and forth for the past week trying to arrange a time for her college-aged son to play golf with my dad.  After numerous phone calls, we agreed on a time that worked for us all.

So, as we were waiting to meet this guy and his mom, a car drove up....  and there was no guy in the car.  Just the mom.  And she had on her golf glove!  I knew where this was going right away....

I asked where her son was and she said he had an exam to study for, but that she was going to play with my dad.  My dad asked her if she was good... (he didn't want to get beat by a girl).  ;)  She said she just started learning to play.

If you know my dad at all, you should be cracking up right now!  I just wish you could have seen his reaction.  He was very kind, but definitely inwardly disappointed.  And I knew it.  I wasn't sure if I should send him on the course for 5 hours with this beginner Chinese lady.  Oh, but I did!  He was a little hesitant at first, but didn't want to offend her, so off they went.

5 and a half hours later...  my dad walked in.  "How'd it go?', I asked.  "I have lived life to it's fullest", he said with a half smile.

Enough said... ;)

MANGO

While my dad was playing golf, us girls went for a stroll to the market to get some groceries.  We decided we were thirsty and I knew the perfect fix!  "Mango" is similar to a smoothie place around the corner from our grocery market.  The ice reminds me a lot of Bahama Bucks.  My mom, Emily, and I all got Mango Smoothies and Sarah got a delicious Strawberry Lemonade.  This is definitely on our must-do-again list before the family leaves.

PIZZA

That night we went to eat pizza and pasta at one of our favorite places.  It was a nice western meal fix for us all and a great way to end our lazy, low key day.

No comments:

Post a Comment