Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 3- Fabric Market, Muslim Noodles and the Exercise Park

NAN ER (FABRIC MARKET)

One request my mom had before coming to China was to go to the fabric market.  About 2 months ago, I didn't really know how to go to any of these places on my own.  So, I made a list of the places I wanted to take my family and almost every weekend for 2 months, I asked someone to take me there and show me how to get there.  I seriously had to strategize!  Knowing my family was coming...  and I was going to be the tour guide...  definitely pushed me to explore this city a little more everyday, to pay attention to every detail, and to learn a few more survival skills.  Especially since most of my teacher friends are headed back to the States for the summer!

The third morning, my mom, Sarah, and I ventured out to Nan Er while Emily took Pappy to the Exercise Park.  Nan Er is a 2 building market with 7 (I think ) stories each full of fabrics, yarns, clothes, dried fruits and nuts, spices, and other foods.  I told my dad we would be back around noon, but we ended up spending about 4 hours here!  I actually had to call one of my friends to go check on my dad and Emily (to make sure they found their way back from the park okay) and to let them know we would be a few hours late.  It's been interesting not having cell phones to communicate... 

So, we shopped till we dropped.  My sister and I both found dresses that we LOVE!  My mom and I both bought cute cardigan sweaters.  We also found some fabric we really liked and hoped to get the tailor to make something before my mom leaves.


My Mom trying on Clothes in the "Dressing Room"


Sarah just finished trying on clothes behind a
curtain the lady was holding up.



We took a lunch break and then ventured over to the other building for dried fruit and nuts so we could make a trail mix for out train ride to the Great Wall.  The dried pineapple and kiwi are my faves!

Rows and Rows of Spices!


MUSLIM NOODLES

My mom was wanting to try Street Food for lunch, so we browsed the different vendors outside of the fabric market.  I didn't recognize any of it and my stomach just said "NO...  don't do it!"  So, we didn't.  Hoping to before they leave though.  We stumbled across a Muslim Noodle restaurant...  which I am familiar with and was happy to see!  We had garlic shoots and Chow Mein (noodles) and we all enjoyed it.  Wish I would have taken a picture...

THE EXERCISE PARK

Once we got home, Emily and Pappy had just woke up from their naps and we were exhausted.  So we all lounged a little before heading to the Exercise Park.  Emily still had to show Mimi!  The Exercise Park is a park full of outdoor exercise equipment, jogging tails, picnic areas, tennis and basketball courts and my favorite...  the Shenyang River!  It is within walking distance from our apartment and is a nice nature fix.

We walked for a while and Emily rode her bike until we all started to get hungry.  We came home and made spaghetti and ate dinner around the table as a family...  oh, how I miss doing that!
Emily Swinging

Dad, Mom and Sarah
 (with the cool bridge in the background)



                      Another successful day when Texas meets China. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment