Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

my pain for His glory

In all honesty, I didn't choose this life.  And neither did most single parents you know.  Sure, choices we've made or a change in life circumstances got us here, but we didn't choose this.  Granted, I know a few people who have chosen the single parent life through fostering or adoption, and I admire them greatly.  But for the rest of us, we're just playing the hand we were dealt.

I have had the privelege of meeting a few single moms and single dads who are playing their hand well.  They have a positive outlook on life, would do anything for their kids, and are doing the best they can with what they've got.  Their attitude and commitment speaks volumes and has been a huge encouragement to me.

On the other hand, I've met some single moms who feel they are inadequate for the job, have a negative outlook on life, and have absolutely no hope.  I know some married moms who feel like they are single moms, and I know some married dads who feel like they are single dads because they are the only ones pulling all the weight.  In all these scenarios, someone needs encouragment, guidance, and hope.

He guides me when I have no idea what to do, He is my hope when I feel hopeless, He is my strength when I am weak, He comforts when I'm lonely, and He fulfills all His promises.  He has provided people in my life who have experienced His promises and who have shared and encouraged me during my times of weakness with the same comfort they've recieved from Him.  Through His promises and His people, He has equipped me to do the same.

Any time I have the privelege to give the single mom a word of encouragement, a little guidance, or just simply a hug that brings a smile...  He reminds me that there's purpose in the pain.  He promises to "use all things for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose", and He continues to fulfill His promises.

  Mistake:  I've had my "why me?" moments!
  Lesson:  He has me where I am because it's how He wants to use me.

"He comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from Him."  ~Paul

                        What's your story?

No comments:

Post a Comment