Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

the waiting game

So, ideally... I knew that if I was going to apply for a teaching position with this International School, I needed to apply last October.  But like I've said, my thoughts and emotions were really up and down this year.  So, it wasn't until May that I made the heart commitment to go for it!  The past 3 months have been an exciting and unexpected roller coaster ride.  I have experienced every emotion possible, stress levels that I didn't know existed, and the waiting period...

Since I applied late in the game, I am a little behind in the process.  School started last week!  There's so much to do once I get there.  I needed to be there 3 weeks ago.  I've been ready.  My heart's ready.  The teacher in me is ready.  My bags are ready...  well kinda.  And there is nothing I can do... but wait...

THE HULA HOOP THEORY

I had a friend introduce the "hula hoop theory" to me, and it has been so helpful through this waiting game.  She said something to this extent:  imagine you are always wearing a hula hoop.  You can only take care of the things inside your hula hoop.  If it's outside your hula hoop, it's out of reach, and it's out of your control.  Only He has control outside the hula hoop.  The paperwork, the process, the timing...  outside my hula hoop.  So, I sit here and wait...

SUITCASE LIVING

Emily and I have been living out of suitcases since the end of June.  It's been absolutely absurd.  We were in New York for 2 weeks for our new staff orientation and training, where we stayed in college dorms.  We came back to Texas for a week, where some friends of mine had so graciously packed up my house for us.  So we were living out of suitcases and boxes.  And we have been in New Mexico, staying with my parents, ever since...  where we actually have dressers and drawers...  and suitcases.  And...  we wait....

PACKING, UNPACKING, AND RE-PACKING

I wasn't exactly organized when I left Texas.  A few suitcases had some thought put into them, and the rest...  had everything thrown in them that could fit.  I figured I would organize everything when I arrived here in New Mexico.  I was under the impression that Emily and I each get 2 free 50 lb. checked bags, and I was up to 6 bags.  So...  2 too many!  A couple of weeks ago, I sat down and took EVERYTHING out of all my suitcases, and discarded, parted, and reduced our luggage down to 5 suitcases.  Yay, Me!  But THEN, we went shopping.  And I found way too many things that 'they just might not  have in China'.  So, I was back up to 6.  So..  I discarded and parted some more to make room for my new things, and got back down to 5.  Yay, Me again!  Well...  today, come to find out...  new rule.  We each get ONE free bag.  Argggh!  So, 2 bags....  yeah that's extremely unrealistic.  BUT I am trying to get down to 4!  So, I will continue to pack, unpack, and repack while we wait...

LESSON PLANS

So, even though I am not currently in China and I haven't started school, my students have.  And technically, I am their teacher, and I am responsible for their lesson plans.  Doing lesson plans for kids I've never met, whose native language is different than mine, and with a curriculum I haven't seen yet...  kinda makes my head hurt.  I mean, I've taught for a couple of years, so I know what to do.  Kinda.  I think I do.  But I won't really know, until I know.  So, I pick my brain, and dig up previous years' lesson plans, and invade Google, and pick other teachers' brains...  and create the best lesson plans I can create....  while I wait...

WAITING IS HARD, BUT...

...there have been lots of wonderful things about the waiting game.  I've been spending very valuable time with my family, and am cherishing every moment.  I am getting to REST!  Something I haven't had time to do since summer started.  I am getting to spend valuable time with Emily.  Though we are always together, it seems there is ALWAYS one more thing for me to do.  So, it's been nice to purposely set aside time for her.  Also, He is showing me how much He has grown me.  I've played the waiting game before.  And, if I were doing this 2 years ago, there's no doubt I would be a basket case!  So, even though waiting is hard... He's given me peace while He asks me to smile, and wait...

PURPOSE IN WAITING

He's always shown me that there has been purpose in waiting.  Maybe He's teaching me to trust Him more?  Rely on Him more?  Spend more time with Him?  Accept that His timing is Perfect?  I don't know...  I just know that He is the one asking me to wait, so...  I wait...

"But those who wait on HIM shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."  ~Isaiah

No comments:

Post a Comment